Thursday, March 3, 2011

25th Original Marian Songwriting Festival (OMSF)

This blog was supposed to be posted September 2010 but circumstance beyond my control has left this draft lying for months until today.  Here it is...

This year, the World Apostolate of Fatima (WAF) Philippines, Cebu Archdiocesan Division celebrates its 25th Original Marian Song Festival (OMSF),  September 8, 2010 at the Mariner’s Court Convention Center.
The yearly theme “Gasa Kang Mama Maria,” aims to pay tribute to the Blessed Virgin Mary on her birthday. This event is not a competition but an offering to Mama Mary's birthday.  Participating composers, lyricists and singers will not receive cash reward but a token from the organizers, the WAF and the Cebu Archdiocesan Division.
Through the songs, we as songwriters exalt and promote Blessed Virgin Mary’s virtues, especially her humility so that people may imitate them.  The melody and the lyrics of the songs we present are original. We were informed that using traditional Marian prayers as lyrics is not encouraged, but these prayers can be paraphrased and used as lyrics. The lyrics can be in Pilipino, Cebuano or English.  The genre of the song is for us to decide but the organizer has the option to change or revise.
Ever since I became aware of this event, I tried my best to offer my composition every year.  I remember the first time I presented a song was in 2000, with a quartet where I was one of the performers.  Singing with me were Moises Manabat, Elvis Igot and Romulo Basilgo Jr. The succeeding years were followed by a trio, Danny Cabarrubias, Moises again and Me. In 2005, Gayle Marie Sinadjan presented my song “Mary”, a year later Christian Communities Male Choir rendered two years in a row with the song “Holy Mary” and “Rayna”.  This year, I had my niece Christianne Joie Tan Briones perform my composition.  My good friend Joseph Abella who is now based in Texas did the arrangement for the minus one while another friend Elvis, who owns the Musikinesis Recording Studio did the back-up vocals.
I feel honored for being able to offer my song to the the Virgin Mary on her birthday.  I pray that God will bless me with more years of my life that I may continue writing songs for the Blessed Virgin Mary for the glory of God.

No comments: