Friday, March 4, 2011

31st Cebu Popular Music Festival – My Song Entries


In the afternoon of August 2010, I received a text from Niño Bañares telling me that the screening for the finalist of the 2011 Cebu Popular Music Festival is wrapping up and added that three of the songs I submitted made it to the finals.  I thought he was just kidding but when I checked my mobile FB, and saw that Miss Gloria Sua-Villarojo posted the 12 finalist and indeed, the three title of the songs I submitted were there.  The song titles were, “Call Center Agent”, “Ikaw Ang Hinungdan” and “Isaad Ta Karon”.  The next few days the local tabloids disseminated the information as well.  I was overwhelmed with joy thinking that I have more chance of winning this year’s event. 
Even before “Call Center Agent” was submitted for entry, I already asked Jay Arr Librando to interpret it in the final nights if ever it becomes a finalist since I already recorded a demo of it.  I was also thinking of Chiko Pineda in case Jay-Arr’s own entry becomes a finalist as well.
“Ikaw Ang Hinungdan” was intended for Gayle, but I had Jenny in mind in case she declines the offer.  Gayle was pleased and willing to demo the song.  I gauged the final and key of the song for Gayle’s vocal range before recording the demo using my wife’s range.  I was amazed that Gayle nearly perfected the notes of the song with just a short period of listening.
“Isaad Ta Karon” was a revision of the 2002’s original version demoed by Rochelle Vega and Wilson Po which did not pass during that year’s screening.  We changed the accompaniment, I changed and polished some of the lyrics, and had Arceli and Daryl to sing it.  We had to lower the notes by one semi-tone as requested by the singers.  At first Joseph Abella protested but eventually agreed.  The melody of this song was made by Joseph Abella and I wrote the lyrics.

No comments: