Sunday, October 18, 2009

On Songwriters and Composers

Sept 02, 2007

Music is definitely the universal language of the soul. Freddie Aguilar's "Anak" was not so successful in the 1st Metropop Music Festival (Manila) but few years later became a worldwide hit.

My appreciation of songwriting started when I was 16. I attempted to join a jingle songwriting contest for a very popular department store in Cebu City. I had my composition done but unfortunately, I was not able to submit it.

I am fond of writing music, for my own personal satisfaction. I mostly write love songs, novelty songs, commercial jingles, political jingles and songs for a songwriting competition. I have been writing liturgical songs as well. I consider myself just an average songwriter. One of my first songwriting inspiration is the Cebuano “father of liturgical music”, Msgr. Rudy Villanueva. They labelled him "genius". My other influences are the music of Barry Manilow, Sergio Mendez, The Lettermen, The Stylistics, Manhattan Transfer and some more old school of musicians. Locally, I'd like to hear songs of Basil Valdez (Ryan Cayabyab, Gerry Paraiso), Rey Valera, Martin Nievera (Vehnee Saturno), Apo Hiking Society (Jim Paredes).

The frequently question thrown to songwriters is "How long does it take you to make and finish a song? Which comes first the lyrics or the melody? Do you need to be in an inspiring ambiance to be able to write a song? Who inspired you to write this song? How much do you get paid for a song?" Well guys, hmmm... considering the last question, I remember my friend Jude's shirt with a line written: "Feed The Artist".

No comments: