Monday, October 19, 2009

Ipasigarbo Ta Ang Sugbu

“Ipasigarbo Ta Ang Sugbu”
In 2002, my friend Joseph Abella presented to me a melody and asked if I could put lyrics on it. I know Joseph prefers poetic lines when it comes to lyrics but after I heard the melody I know I would be writing conversational lyrics. The song was finally titled “Ipasigarbo Ta Ang Sugbu” (Let’s be proud of Cebu). The song tells us of the beauty of Cebu. It describes the natural beauty and the clean environment of the province. It also tells us of the god-fearing and friendly people in almost anywhere you would go. Joseph arranged the accompaniment music using my KORG 01/W. He just did it in my place so after he left I added some squeaky sounds in the percussion group. We recorded a demo version of the song and submitted it the Cebu Pop Music Festival screening Committee. We were hoping to be selected among the 12 finalist for the 2003 final nights, we were blessed and lucky it was chosen. The group SAKDAP was our second to none choice to interpret or perform the song in the final night. I was really looking forward to that group to perform one of my songs ever since I laid my eyes and heard the group perform. However some of their members declined which leaves us to none. We were desperate because we do not want to compromise the song by having it sung by a non-artistic group. Some ex SAKDAP members were ready to the rescue in the form of Elvis Somosot and Edgar Seno. Spiced up with the members of my former quartet “voice to praise” group members, Moises Manabat and Elvis Ygot and a friend of mine from the Glory Songwriting days Manolito Languido, the group was formed. The practice was not perfect and no choreography was adapted because the group could not possibly meet together just for one choreography session. I recalled later after the contest, a comment from one of my friend’s dad saying that the singer’s movements were in disarray. The final night was exciting. I was not really expecting the grand prize. Statistics show, novelty-type songs never succeed in this event. I am proud that the song was made public. I am elated that the song was aired and publicized for the event. ”Ipasigarbo Ta Ang Sugbo” won the 3rd Prize that night and for the year 2003.

No comments: